Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

plants, plants everywhere!

Whew! It's good to be out of school for a bit! I have to say I've been very productive with projects...just not with posting...which I'm working on I promise! I was at my grandma's this past weekend and she has a "sun room" and a "sun porch", so she has LOTS of windows & natural light for plants! Which she capitalizes on with tons of little container gardens. I thought they were so cute...and it gave me inspiration. I had this wine crate that I had procured from Sam's Club. They'll let you take them as long you find a home for the bottles that currently occupy them. I was lucky enough to find one with minimum number of bottles to relocate and it was still in tact. It's had various homes and uses over the past few years at my house as a magazine holder, a corral all, etc. I finally decided that it's new function would be as my container garden container. I didn't purchase anything for this project, so it literally didn't cost me a dime! Plus, it got all my plants corralled to one place which my husband was very happy with :)  


Here's what I used: 
wine crate/container
potting soil
trash bag
various indoor plants

moss/orchid moss (optional)



Here is the empty wine crate. I love wine crates period, so this was a real find!


First I secured the crate with a million staples from my staple gun. It was "tacked" together and I'm pretty sure that the wine that it once housed maxed out the tacks capacity. Plus, my luck, I would pick it up to move it and everything would fall out.


 Then I lined it with a trash bag to keep the dirt & water in the crate.


Put some mulch and stones in the bottom to give the water a place to drain a little.


I put my potting soil in.



...and started to place my plants. Of course I arranged and rearranged my plants about a million times before I decided where I wanted them. 


Afterwards, I trimmed off the access plastic, leaving about an inch above the surface all the way around. I kind of tucked it around. After that I took some left over orchid moss and moss that was in one of the container gardens that I relocated to the box to place on top. That's totally optional of course, but it makes it more aesthetically pleasing, plus when your moss is dry, it's time to water!


Now all my plants are in one container and placed in the prime plant real estate in my kitchen. 

Stay green!






No comments:

Post a Comment